Isopropanol is a highly-volatile, flammable, colorless, clear liquid that is used in FDM 3D printing for cleaning components, build plates and for smoothing certain materials. For SLA and DLP prints Isopropanol can be used to remove and dissolve uncured resin from 3D prints. Because of its rapid evaporation, it dries quickly. Therefore, the container should not be open longer than necessary.
for cleaning build plates and components
For good results diluted to 70% isopropanol and 30% distilled water. for smoothing FDM 3D prints Follow the instructions of the smoothing device manufacturer. for removing uncured Resin from SLA or DLP Wear gloves to handle resin cleaner. Submerging the finished print in the resin cleaner for 1 to 5 minutes. Check every minute on the process and shake the model in the solution to enhance the removal. After the successful removal of uncured resin, let the model dry and cure according to manufacturer guidelines.
Hazard and Precautionary Statements
- UN Number 1219
- Signal word Danger
- H225 Highly flammable liquid and vapour.
- H319 Causes serious eye irritation.
- H336 May cause drowsiness or dizziness.
- P210 Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking.
- P240 Ground/bond container and receiving equipment.
- P305 + P351 + P338 IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.
- P403 + P233 Store in a well-ventilated place. Keep container tightly closed.
Download the Material Safety Data Sheet
Technical Data Chemical
- Color clear odor typical
- Chemical Formula C3H8O
- CAS Number 67-63-0
- Chemical Type Solvent
- Density 0.786 g/cm3 (20°C)
Download the Technical Data Sheet
Disposal of ISOPROPANOL
Isopropanol must be disposed of as special waste (paints and varnishes) at the local waste collection point.